White House of the ConfederacyThis house was the executive mansion of Confederate President Jefferson Davis and his family from August 1861 until April 2, 1865. A West Point graduate, former U.S. senator from Mississippi, and former U.S. secretary of war, Davis was the Confederacy's only president. He worked long hours here, meeting with Confederate civilian and military leaders. On April 14, 1862, he held a council of war here with Secretary of War George W. Randolph, Gen. Joseph E. Johnston, Gen. Robert E. Lee, and other officers to discuss the Confederacy's defense against Union Gen. George B. McClellan's advancing army.
|Series||This marker is part of the Virginia Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||Virginia Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 5th, 2014 at 11:10pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 285347 N 4157652|
|Decimal Degrees||37.54090000, -77.42960000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 32.454', W 77° 25.776'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 32' 27.24" N, 77° 25' 46.56" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1201-1213 E Clay St, Richmond VA 23219, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.