City of San Luis Obispo Historic BuildingOn this site, the storied original Andrews Hotel stood. The grand opening of that remarkable structure was celebrated July 3, 1885. Nine and one half months later, on Palm Sunday, April 18, 1886 it burned to the ground. On the ashes, the present structure, the J.P. Andrews Building was erected to serve as the offices of the J.P. Andrews Banking Company. The building was completed in 1893 and the J.P. Andrews Banking Company opened for business January 2, 1894. J.P. Andrews was described by editor Myron Angel as "a man of great force and iron will". He made his first money in ranching, founded the Bank of San Luis Obispo in 1893, among the many enterprises which were the products of his tireless industry. The great grandson of Revolutionary War General Charles Colesworth Pinckney, John Pinckney Andrews came to California in 1857 from Montgomery County, North Carolina, and settled in San Luis Obispo County in 1859. The J.P. Andrews building has housed many businesses, among them the commercial bank, the automobile club, a restaurant and a newspaper.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, September 25th, 2014 at 7:21pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 712683 N 3906804|
|Decimal Degrees||35.28181667, -120.66143333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 16.909', W 120° 39.686'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 16' 54.54" N, 120° 39' 41.16" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||805, 858|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 967 Osos St, San Luis Obispo CA 93401, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.