This structure, built in 1822, served as the Methodist Church for nearly 50 years and still retains a portion of the original burial ground at the rear. After the battle, wounded were cared for here by the Catholic Sisters of Charity from nearby Emmitsburg, Maryland.
In 1880, the Methodists sold the building to the trustees of the Corporal J.H. Skelly Post #9 of the Grand Army of the Republic (G.A.R.), a Union veterans organization. Skelly, a Union soldier from Gettysburg, was mortally wounded at the Battle of Winchester, Virginia on June 13, 1863.
During its active years as a GAR Post the building became a true welcome center, with thousands of returning veterans hosted here during frequent "Campfire Meetings." Restored in 1990 by Historic Gettysburg-Adams County, the building is used for community functions and is the home of Camp #112, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.