Anthony Wayne ParkwayOn this site in 1794, the British built Fort Miamis to block Gen. Anthony Wayne's expected march on Detroit. Its strategic location commanded both the land and water routes in the Maumee Valley. The post, constructed after the manner of the noted French military engineer, Sebastien Vauban, was essentially an earthwork of ditches and embankments, re-enforced by log stockades and buildings, so impregnable did it appear that Gen. Wayne, after routing the Indians at Fallen Timbers (Aug. 20, 1794), did not attempt to take the garrison. By a provision of the Jay Treaty, Fort Miamis was surrendered to the United States in 1796. In the War of 1812, the site was re-occupied by the British under Gen. Procter and the Indians under Tecumseh when they unsuccessfully besieged Gen. Harrison at Fort Meigs.
|Placed By||The Historical Society of Northwestern Ohio|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 25th, 2014 at 3:55pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 280987 N 4605718|
|Decimal Degrees||41.57315000, -83.62691667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 41° 34.389', W 83° 37.615'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||41° 34' 23.34" N, 83° 37' 36.90" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 679 Michigan Ave, Maumee OH 43537, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.