Coles Bashford arrived in Prescott in 1864 and was the first President of the Territorial Legislature. In 1874, Coles, his brother Levi, and son William formed a partnership with Robert Burmister. The Bashford-Burmister Company became one of the largest mercantile stores in northern Arizona, selling everything from mining supplies to fresh vegetables. Bashford advertised that his was the only store in Arizona that received goods directly from New York City. The original structure burned in the fire of 1900. This brick building, built after the fire, was enlarged and remodeled in an Art Deco style in 1929. In the 1940s, J. C. Penney replaced the Bashford-Burmister Company at this location. Renovated for use as an atrium mall in 1994, it once again serves as one of the commercial focal points of the downtown area.