This street scene photo taken on the bridge crossing Rocky Fountain Creek around 1870, clearly shows the three white tannery buildings on the east side of Buckeystown Pike. The tanning of animal hides was the town's earliest industry. The red brick house on the hill above the tannery buildings is the Baker family home. Daniel Baker purchased the property from the Buckeys in 1830. Across the street on the west side of Buckeystown Pike at the top of the hill, is a red brick house built circa 1863, now covered with white shingles to preserve the soft brick. Coming down the hill, the next building is the Buckey Tavern, built by John Buckey around 1788. The white frame house with the carriage in front is the only structure in town with an above ground cellar. It has always been a duplex house and was built prior to 1858.
Some years later, this photo circa 1900 shows a similar view. The white tannery buildings were torn down and the lot was sometimes used for grazing cattle. On the top of the hill, the original George Buckey home, owned by the Baker family at the time, has acquired its wrap-around porch. Down the hill from the two large trees on the west side of Buckeystown Pike is the John Buckey Tavern, a private residence since the 1850's. The duplex house is next door. The frame building next to the creek is the Dietrick & Gambrill granary, used to store grain, wheat, hay, salt, seeds, potatoes, flour and coal. Goods were shipped by train on the track that was laid for the brickyard along the north side of Rocky Fountain Creek. The granary was destroyed by fire in 1933. Since 1936 a gas station has been located on that property.