Dedicated in Honor of Its Founder
— June 8, 1991 —This 44 acres of the Botanical Garden was formerly the Horticultural Gardens of Clemson University, an innovative concept of Dr. T.L. Senn, Professor and Head Emeritus of Clemson's Department of Horticulture. Work began in 1959 on heavily eroded land containing an abandoned dump. Through the next decade, Dr. Senn's talents and tenacity as an administrator, educator and innovator went beyond formal plan collections to create a progressive public garden. The Horticultural Gardens integrated nature, recreation and therapeutic with preservation, conservation teaching and research. This concept emphasized garden areas and programs designed for the visually, mentally and physically impaired. In 1973, the site was protected in perpetuity by the Clemson University Board of Trustees in recognition of its value as a public resource. The Horticultural Gardens was consolidated with the Forestry Arboretum and adjoining University lands in 1987 to establish the present 250+ acre Botanical Garden. The original 44 acres of this garden is dedicated in honor of its founder, Dr. T.L. Senn.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 13th, 2014 at 4:32pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 332977 N 3838453|
|Decimal Degrees||34.67445000, -82.82305000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 40.467', W 82° 49.383'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 40' 28.02" N, 82° 49' 22.98" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1400 Willow Oak Ln, Clemson SC 29631, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.