On this site, Lot 17, provided for, in 1826, in the Town Plan by Hermon Mercer, who laid out the town of Crawfordville, a tavern, inn or hotel has stood continuously. The original tavern, built by Gilbert Rossignol, a refugee from the French Revolution, stood near Locust Grove. That building, a large two-story house with broad veranda and columns, was bought in 1826 by Sylvester B.J. Cratin and reerected on this site. It was operated by Mr. and Mrs. Anderson Little. The old tavern stood until 1902 when the present brick hotel was built.