Near this point the Alexandria Canal crossed Four Mile Run, connecting Alexandria docks and railyards to Georgetown and western Maryland from 1843 to 1886. To the east were the turnpike and railroad. In 1896 the Washington, Alexandria and Mount Vernon Railway began to run electric trolleys beside the abandoned canal in this area, where it also built a car barn, repair shops and a power house. In 1906 the trolley line opened and operated Luna Park west of the tracks, providing a ballroom, roller coaster, water slide and other amusements. Parts of this complex survived until 1993, when the trolley barn was torn down after serving as a bus garage since the 1930s. Eads Street traces the canal and trolley line.