From School to HospitalIn 1861, Confederate authorities converted the New Bern Academy from a school to a hospital. The U.S. Army commandeered the structure to care for the wounded almost immediately after defeating Confederate forces in the Battle of New Bern on March 14, 1862. Casualties were first moved here from temporary quarters on March 19. Ten days later, a newspaper reported that " the General Hospital at Academy Green is full of severely wounded men, and those who have undergone amputation. Two houses opposite [across the street] are filled with wounded rebel prisoners under charge of their own surgeons." Academy Green Hospital also treated victims of spinal meningitis, smallpox, and yellow fever. It served as a general hospital in conjunction with the Masonic Lodge and other nearby structures. By the end of the war, the buildings constituted a part of New Bern's larger Foster General Hospital.
|Series||This marker is part of the North Carolina Civil War Trails series|
|Placed By||North Carolina Civil War Trails|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, October 9th, 2014 at 9:23am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 313928 N 3887130|
|Decimal Degrees||35.10983333, -77.04168333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 35° 6.59', W 77° 2.501'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||35° 6' 35.40" N, 77° 2' 30.06" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||919, 252|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 514-518 New St, New Bern NC 28560, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.