(Wayne Blockhouse)The American Fort was built a few blocks east of the French and British forts on a bluff behind the current Soldiers and Sailors Home. It was erected in July 1795 by a detail of General Anthony Wayne's soldiers commanded by Captain Bissel. The fort was a large stockade with at least three blockhouses. Although never attacked the Fort was crucial to the safety of the first Erie settlers. It was the final resting place of General Wayne who died and was buried there in 1796. A replica of the blockhouse where he died was erected by the State in 1880.
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 3:23am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17T E 576022 N 4665444|
|Decimal Degrees||42.13743333, -80.08006667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 42° 8.246', W 80° 4.804'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||42° 8' 14.76" N, 80° 4' 48.24" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 300-398 E Front St, Erie PA 16507, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.