By 1844, Tredegar Iron Works managers used this building for an office and as a residence. After the Civil War, it became the principal iron works office. It was rebuilt after being damaged by fire in 1903. During most of the history of Tredegar, the company was owned and operated by Joseph Reid Anderson and members of his family, with a few skilled workers and managers. Ownership by families or limited partnerships was not unusual for industrial organizations in the 1800s, but it became increasingly rare in large industries by the 20th century.
The main section of this structure originated as a three-story brick currying shop and dwelling, part of a series of tanyard operations in this vicinity from about 1799 to 1827. Tanned leather provided belting for early industries, and harness, seat coverings, and strapping for the carts, drays, and wagons that moved products in the industrial city.