January 2-7, 1847The Battle of Santa Clara was the only campaign fought in the Northern district of California between Californios and United States forces during the Mexican-American war. In the 1840's an oak forest grew near the present Lawrence Expressway, but brackish water and marshy soil limited tree growth in the region to the east providing an unobstructed view of Mission Santa Clara three miles ahead. The battle took place in this open plain.
|Placed By||Santa Clara Historical and Landmarks Commission|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 3:03pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||10S E 592647 N 4134501|
|Decimal Degrees||37.35260000, -121.95390000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 21.156', W 121° 57.234'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 21' 9.36" N, 121° 57' 14.04" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||408, 619, 650|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1515 El Camino Real, Santa Clara CA 95050, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.