Sparta, Seat of Justice for Hancock County in 1795, became a chartered town, Dec. 3, 1803. Situated at an Indian trading post, in constant danger of border trouble, the town was named Sparta to indicate the bravery of its pioneer citizens. In 1864 when Gen. Sherman neared Sparta on his march to the sea, Capt. Harry Culver, C.S.A., home on leave, gathered what men he could find. Shouting orders as if he had an army behind him, Capt. Culver met the Federal outpost who turned their troops toward Sandersville at Kennedy's Store beyond Devereux, leaving Sparta unmolested.