Judson Blackman, son of businessman David Blackman who owned the store across the street, started construction on this brick home in 1861, but it was not completed until after the Civil War. The brick for the house was made on family-owned property at Huttonsville, WV (now the prison property), and the wood used was cut and milled on the same property. Lorenzo Dow Strader bought the house from his father-in-law shortly after marrying the youngest Blackman daughter, Mariah. Later they added on to the house on the north side.
The tailor shop of a Mr. Keesy was originally located on the corner of this property, but the building was destroyed during the Civil War. Strader, a lawyer by profession, built the small brick building still standing for use as his law office. It originally had a fan glass door, two windows, and a fireplace, but was later converted into a garage.
Judson Blackman stipulated in his will that the eldest daughter in each generation shall inherit this property. The home remains in the hands of the Strader descendants.
This two-story brick house is an example of Greek Revival style with Italianate detailing. It has a standing seam metal hip roof with scroll brackets on a deep cornice. The entrance door has Doric columns with sidelights and a flat transom. The windows are a 6/1 design.