Original County SeatNearly two decades after the ill-fated attempt of the Foyles (Files) and Taggert (Tygart) families to pioneer the area in 1754, the Tygarts Valley was finally settled by a group of families in 1772. One of this group, Jacob Westfall Sr., built a fort near the Files home site where Files Creek empties into the Tygarts Valley River. Several log homes built by these early pioneers still survive within existing buildings in the area.
|Placed By||Staunton Parkersburg Turnpike and Historic Beverly, W.Va|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 18th, 2014 at 5:47pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 597604 N 4299731|
|Decimal Degrees||38.84098333, -79.87535000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 38° 50.459', W 79° 52.521'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||38° 50' 27.54" N, 79° 52' 31.26" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 265-287 Main St, Beverly WV 26253, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.