In 1820, several members of Liberty Church, Wilkes County, petitioned to form a new church, South Liberty, because of "distance, bad roads, high water in winter." A log church was built in 1828 about 4 miles east of Sharon on land given by Joshua Morgan. Services began in May 1828 and were held continuously except during the War Between the States when the minister and members were on military duty. In 1855 the log church was replaced by a frame building and, in 1877, that was moved to the present location in Sharon. First elders were Moses Alexander, C. C. Mills and Joshua Morgan. Dr. Carlyle P. Beman was the first minister.