This church is located in that part of the original Wilkes Circuit of 1786, "the cradle of Georgia Methodism," from which Bishop Francis Asbury formed the Little River Circuit at the Camden, S. C. Conference in January 1802. The Raytown Methodists from Virginia, Maryland, North and South Carolina, were "formed into Society" in the early 1800's, held their first meetings in the homes of members, and, after 1828, worshiped for some years in the old South Liberty Meeting House. When rapid growth created a need for a separate church, this land, given by James Moore, Sr., and Mrs. Mary Shaw Pearson, was surveyed Nov. 25, 1845, deeded Dec. 17, 1845, and the first building erected. Trustees named were Bedor Proctor, George W. Flynt, Nathaniel Parham, Aaron T. Kendrick, John Wright, William Cicero Wright, John C. Byrd and John Hartwell Phelts. Disrupted by absence of men and ministers during the War Between the States, services were resumed, April 2, 1865, on the reorganization of the Raytown Union Sabbath School, John H. Beall, Superintendent, and William H. Brooks, Secretary. The present building was erected in 1890. Among the ministers of the church in the 1800's were Josiah Lewis, Allen Thomas, Felix Persons Brown, Miles Wesley Arnold, and Andrew Jackson Hughes, all known for their outstanding work in building the great rural churches of Georgia Methodism.