Itinatag sa bisa ng Kautusan bilang 1688 ng Komisyon ng Pilipinas bilang dibisyon ng Kagawaran ng Kalusugan, 1907 sa pamamagitan ni Dean C. Worcester, inilagay ang Panukulang bato Disyembere 8, 1908; Natapos, Nobyembere 30,1909. Pinasinayaan Setyembre 10, 1910. Napasailalim ng Pampublikong Pagtuturo, 1933. Tanggapan ng Pangulo, Hulyo 1939. Ibinalik sa ilalim ng Pagtuturong Pampubliko noong panahon ng pananakop ng mga Hapones; Inilipat sa Philippine Civic affairs Unit noong 1945. Tanggapan ng Pamantasan ng Pilipinas sa bisa ng Batas pampanguluhan bilang 94, 1947. Sinimulan ang pagpapaganda, pagpapaayos at pagpapalaki, 1985. Pansamantalang natigil noong 1986. Muling ipinagpatuloy, 1987, ganap na natapos 1990.
Translated, the marker reads:
Established with the Ordinance No. 1688 of the Commission of the Philippines as a division of the Department of Health, 1907 because of Dean C. Worcester, built of stone on December 8, 1908; finished on November 30, 1909. Opened on September 10, 1910. Operated under the Public Teaching, 1933. Office of the President, July 1939. Handed back to the Public Teaching during the occupation of the Japanese; moved to the Philippines Civic Affairs Unit in 1945. Office of the Univeristy of the Philippines under Act No. 94, 1947. Renovation started in 1985. Halted in 1986, and continued, 1987, finally finished 1990.
A separate marker provides dedication information for this marker. It reads:
This memorial marker is dedicated to the entire staff and patients of the Philippine General Hospital and the non combatant civilian refugees in that hospital who were all victims during the Battle for Manila in World War II. This marker was installed pursuant to board resolution No.2s.1994 of the National Historical Institute