Built on the southeast corner of 17th and H Streets in Bakersfield in 1882, Alphonse and Henrietta Weill's house was considered "modern" for its day because of the high ceilings, long hallway, and indoor plumbing.
In 1870, Alphonse Weill migrated from France to Kern County. He originally settled in the mining town of Havilah to pursue a career as a merchant. Two years later, Alphonse moved to Bakersfield and later opened his own general merchandise store. Alphonse was a successful businessman operating his store in Bakersfield for more than 70 years.
Henrietta Levy Weill, a native of San Francisco, came to Bakersfield at the time of her marriage in 1882. Alphonse and Henrietta had four children, Blanche, Irma, Adele and Lawrence. A member of numerous civic organizations, Henrietta worked to improve the lives of Kern County residents through education and social service. The Henrietta Weill Memorial Child Guidance Clinic is named in her honor.
The Weill family donated the house to the Museum in 1950.