Kohl Mansion was built by C. Frederick and Elisabeth Kohl in 1914. The Tudor-style mansion, was designed by architects Howard and White. Was the centerpiece of a 40 acre estate called "The Oaks". The property originally included a carriage house, a rose garden, a tennis court, and a 150,000 gallon reservoir.
The Kohls separated in 1916 leaving the estate in the hands of caretakers. On Mr. Kohl's death in 1921, the property was bequeathed to Marion Louderbach Lord who sold it to the Sisters of Marcy in 1924 for $230,000. The sisters used the house as motherhouse and novitiate until 1931 when they added a wing of four classrooms on the northeast side and opened Mercy High School. Another wing of 13 classrooms was added in 1956.
In 1982 a complete restoration of the mansion's exterior was begun, Kohl Mansion is now operated by the Sister's of Marcy as Mercy High School for Girls and as a site for community and private events.