In the decades after the end of the Civil War, an unstable economy created economic and social turmoil in the United States. People looking for opportunity migrated to the West.
The Kern County Land Company founded the Rosedale Colony in 1890. After building the Calloway Canal through the area, the company recruited settlers from the eastern United States and Europe.
In 1898, William and Irena Weller migrated from Michigan to Kern County with their children, Amos and Alma, settling in the rural farming community of Rosedale. William and Irena lived in this board and batten style house originally located on their farm west of Bakersfield.
In 1899, Amos Weller purchased a store dealing in general merchandise from W. R. Sheppard for $1.00. By 1910, William worked as a clerk in his son's store while Irena tended to their home.
Raymond F. Stockton and Marjorie M. Stockton, William and Irena Weller's granddaughter, donated this house to the Kern County Museum in 1957.