Anthony Wayne Parkway
[North side of Marker]:Fort Miamis Reserve
"River tracts 46 and 47 in Township No. 1 United States Reserve" is the official description of the Miltonville location.
The "United States Reserve" was the twelve mile square area established by the Treaty of Greene Ville, 1795, which ended the Indian Wars. It was one of sixteen such reserves in the Northwest Territory and one of four in the Maumee Valley which gave the United States control of strategic points in the Indian lands north and west of the treaty line.
The Foot of the Rapids, crossing place of early trails in this area, and the British Fort Miamis, built in 1794 to block Gen. Anthony Wayne from an anticipated attack on Detroit, were the reasons for establishing the reserve known as the Fort Miamis Reserve. Remains of the British post near the Foot of the Rapids can still be seen in Maumee.
[South side of Marker]:Miltonville
On this site once flourished an early river town. Like several others in Wood County, it disappeared because of the ravages of flood and cholera, because railroads attracted residents into the interior of the county.
Miltonville was surveyed August 24, 1835 by Hiram Davis "for and under the supervision of William Fowler and G. W. Baird." It was named for Milton Baird.
Fowler and Baird built a dam on the Maumee just below here and erected a sawmill. By 1837, Foote Hotel and Uncle Guy House, later called Taylor House, catered to travelers. Several stores were flourishing. A rope ferry connected the town with the north shore of the river.
In 1859, however, the village post office closed and Miltonville was on its way to extinction. The only remaining remnant of the village is the small cemetery on the top of the hill.
Comments 0 comments