Camp meetings have been held here each year, from 1832,except four years during the War Between the States. The 50-acre plot, "extending one-half mile in every direction from the preacher's stand," was purchased by from Daniel and Jacob Groover for $25 by William Hammons, John F. Wilson, George Shell, John B. Wade, Dennis Phillips, Thomas King and Rev. Nelson Osborne, Trustees. The first meeting, August 1832, was held under a brush arbor with 30 tents on the ground. Women were seated on one side of the arbor; men on the other. John W. Osborne, appointed usher, served at every meeting until his death in 1914.