front left panel Leroy Robert
(picture of Satchel)
July 7, 1906
June 8, 1982
front right panel
(picture of Lahoma)
April 7, 1922
Sept. 22, 1986
center front panel
He began work carrying suitcases at Mobile Union Station and devised a sling harness for hustling several bags at once. The other red caps said he looked like a "Walking Satchel Tree" thus Leroy became Satchel, and Satchel became a legend.
How To Stay Young
1. Avoid Fried meats which angry up the blood.
2. If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts.
3. Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move.
4. Go very light on the vices, such as carrying on in society. The social ramble ain't restful.
5. Avoid running at all times.
6. Don't look back, something might be gaining on you.
center back panel
Rose above the humble beginnings of his native Mobile, Alabama, childhood to become a national treasure and a universal sports hero. Among the most illustrious sports figures in the history of baseball. For 39 summers and as many winters he traveled endlessly throughout the United States, Cuba, Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic thrilling millions with his extraordinary pitching feats to become the most celebrated moundsman in the history of our National Pastime. Everyone knew him as "Satchel" Paige, a legend in life, an immortal in death.
back right panel
He began a twenty seven year career with the Kansas City Monarchs, and made this his home.
Three big moments in his baseball career ... pitched a 5-0 shutout for Cleveland against Chicago in 1948; when he was inducted in to Baseball's Hall of Fame in 1971; he attended the dedication of Satchel Paige Stadium here just three days before he died.
back left panel
Leroy Robert Paige
Lahoma Jean Brown
Married March 5, 1946