On October 1, 1886, the North Birmingham Land Company was formed to develop a planned industrial and residential town on 900 acres of land, formerly part of the Alfred Nathaniel Hawkins plantation north of Village Creek. The plan included sites for houses, parks, businesses and manufacturing plants, and a streetcar line to downtown Birmingham. The community was incorporated in 1902 with a population of 5,000, and annexed by legislative act, into the City of Birmingham, under protest, in 1910. By 1920, the commercial area extended up 27th Street along the streetcar line and rapidly became a trading center for northeast Jefferson County. Blending later development with a distinctive architectural heritage. North Birmingham remains today one of the best examples of an integrated residential, commercial and industrial community.