Clyde Nelson, born in Columbiana, Alabama, was only 26 when he began development of the Town of Hollywood in 1926. With a sales force of 75 and the slogan "Out of the smoke zone, into the ozone" his beautiful community soon took shape. Homes were usually designed by local architect George P. Turner in Spanish Mission style as was the rage in Hollywood, California. Many were also of the English Tudor design.
Besides homes, Nelson built the magnificent Hollywood Country Club (burned 1984) on Lakeshore Drive and the Hollywood Town Hall (now American Legion Post No. 1340) on Hollywood Boulevard. He formed the Birmingham area's first bus line and laid the first natural gas pipeline over the mountain into Shades Valley.
Hollywood's first and only mayor, Clarence Lloyd, owned the first house at 109 Bonita Drive. Incorporated January 14, 1927 the town was annexed into the City of Homewood October 14, 1929.