This church was constructed in 1847 at a cost of $1,500 and was officially incorporated in May of 1848. Records of the parish date back to 1832.
Many of the well-known local families were early benefactors, such as Rutherford, Dekay, Price, Baird, Allen, and McCamley.
This is the oldest extent church building in Vernon Township and is a landmark example of the mid 10th century Carpenter Gothic Architecture.
This church was closed in 1971, then served as the home of the Vernon Township Historical Society from 1977 to 1981.
St. Thomas reopened for worship in 1981 and was re-dedicated in March of 1983.