By Act of 1798, Commissioners were named "To ascertain and fix upon the most central place for the erection of a court house in the District of Sumter", and meanwhile "to fix upon a proper place for the sitting of the court". During 1800-01, court was held in the John Gayle home (N.E. corner Main and Canal Streets) until a suitable court house was ready for use, Jan. 1802, though not completed until 1806.
The second court house, designed by Robert Mills, was built of brick and stucco. It was authorized in 1820, completed in 1821, enlarged in 1848, and in use until 1907, serving also as a place of public gatherings for 86 years. This building remodeled is now occupied by the National Bank of S.C. The present court house, authorized in 1906, was dedicated in 1907.