Organized in 1813 with 13 members, this branch of Stateburg's High Hills of Santee Baptist Church (founded before 1772) became an independent congregation on September 24, 1820. It became known as Sumterville Baptist Church, and among early ministers who preached there were Dr. John Roberts and Dr. Richard Furman, noted pastor, patriot, and educator.
By 1820 this congregation had built Sumter's first church. Subsequent buildings date from 1854, 1902 (now Brown Chapel), and 1973. Named First Baptist in 1901, the church has been active in Southern Baptist associations and conventions, as well as in missions. It has sponsored four churches and ordained a number of ministers.