At least one Methodist sermon was preached in Nacogdoches before 1821, according to tradition. After religious freedom was established by the Republic of Texas, Missionary Littleton Fowler (1803-1846) preached here on Oct. 16,1837, and soon founded this church. This was the first Protestant congregation organized in Nacogdoches after the Texas War for Independence. It began as an 18 - member "Methodist Society." Volunteering for service in Texas, the Rev. Samuel A. Williams came here from Tennessee in 1838 as the first pastor. By 1859 the Methodists were known as the active Protestants in town, by 1860 there had been 12 or more successive pastors. After meeting in homes and other places, this congregation built a church across the street from this site in 1860. A larger frame church, built in 1887 on this site, was lost in a fire in 1907. A brick building was erected in 1910. In 1925 this congregation participated in the founding of Perrite Memorial Methodist Church, on the west side of the city. In 1929 it helped establish a bible chair at Stephen F Austin State Teachers' College (later a state university). The present church building was completed in 1969.