Multiple markers on and near the Ballard Centennial Bell identify the Ballard Avenue Historic District.Ballard Avenue Historic District Under the provisions of the national historic preservation act of October 16, 1966, this property possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating American history. Placed on the national register on July 1, 1976 by the National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior Washington State Park and Recreation Committee.
Be it remembered that at this place on the eleventh day of April, Nineteen Hundred and Seventy Six, the Ballard Avenue Landmark District was officially designed by a city ordinance signed by Wesley C. Uhlman, May or the City of Seattle and through the proclamation of his majesty, King Carl XVI Gustuf of Sweden, created in the bicentennial spirit of preserving the best of past traditions for the enlightenment of future generations.
Marker 3:Ballard City Hall BellThis bell, a symbol of the heritage of the Ballard community, hung above the Ballard City Hall when Ballard was an independent city and booming industrial center. On May 30, 1907, the bell was rung to sadly announce Ballard's annexation to the City of Seattle and was later removed from the area. The former Ballard City Hall was demolished in 1965 after serving the city as a precinct police station.
The 1,000 pound brass bell has now been refurbished and returned to the Ballard community after an absence of nearly 40 years. On April 11, 1976, Sweden's King Carl Gustaf CVI and Seattle's mayor Wes Uhlman rang the bell to formerly announce the creation of the Ballard Avenue Historic District and the resurgence of community interest in its historic past. The bell now hangs in this monument at the corner of 22nd Avenue Northwest and Ballard Avenue, the former site of the Ballard City Hall.