The first Filipino Infantry Regiment was activated July 13, 1942 at the Salinas California Rodeo Grounds. The Second Filipino Infantry Regiment was activated November 22, 1942 at Fort Ord. Personnel were Filipinos living in the United States then and American officers who trained in Salinas, Camp San Luis Obispo, Hunter Liggett, Camp Roberts, Camp Cooke and Camp Beale. Departed for New Guinea April 6, 1944, and fought in Leyte and Samar during the Philippine Liberation Campaign. Units supplied Gen. Douglas MacArthur more than 3,000 officers and enlisted men for his four specialized units, the Counterintelligence Corps, Commando Battalion, Alamo Scouts and Philippine Civic Affairs. Considered by many U.S. Army historians as one of the most colorful, publicized, versatile and decorated regimental combat-size units in the Pacific Theater of operations of World War II. Personnel won more than 50,000 decorations, awards, medals, ribbons, certificates, commendations and citations. Regiment returned to the Zone of the Interior April 9, 1946 and deactivated the following day at Camp Stoneman Calif.
Dedicated during formal unveiling ceremony July 29, 1984 by the First and Second Filipino Infantry Regiments Association