George Washington Foster, planter, built this Greek Revival Mansion. An Act of the legislature was required to close Court Street, In fall of 1864 it was headquarters of Nathan B. Forrest, General, CSA. Foster's daughter, Sarah Independence McDonald and her family, lived here until 1900 when it became the home of Governor Emmet O'Neal. In 1922 it was acquired by Thomas M. Rogers Sr., and in 1948 by the University of North Alabama.
Listed Historic American Buildings Survey National Resister of Historic Places.