1833This "double- pile cottage" is a rare Alabama example of Tidewater architecture that originated along the Southern seaboard during the colonial period. This house was built in 1833 by Thomas J. Crowe, proprietor of the early National hotel in Florence, as a wedding gift for his bride, Elizabeth Hooks of Tennessee. It later became the home or Richard Oric Pickett, who arrived in 1843 to become one of the town's leading attorneys. Pickett was Colonel of the 10th Alabama Infantry under General Philip Roddey, called "Defender of North Alabama" during the Civil War.
|Placed By||Florence Historic Board Florence Alabama|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 12th, 2014 at 8:14pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||16S E 438012 N 3851452|
|Decimal Degrees||34.80341667, -87.67768333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 34° 48.205', W 87° 40.661'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||34° 48' 12.30" N, 87° 40' 39.66" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 100-198 Hermitage Dr, Florence AL 35630, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.