In October 1903, approximately fourteen men and women organized the First Baptist Church of Kenard. The congregation selected four trustees: Dr. T.M. Sherman, George W. Willis, M.B. Matchett and Hugh P. English, who served the church in many capacities throughout his life. On October 23, the trustees purchased land upon which to build a one-room structure to be used as a place of worship.
Kennard's First Baptist congregation held church services once or twice a month for several years, utilizing shared or traveling pastors. Members called the Rev. W.P. Lott in 1945. He served as the church's first full-time pastor but soon split his time between the Kennard congregation and one in nearby Ratcliff. During his years in Kennard, Lott's wife organized a Women's Missionary Union for the congregation.
Over the years, the congregation has constructed new facilities and provided parsonage housing for its ministers. Throughout the 1960s, the church took an active role in campaigning against the sale of liquor and pari-mutuel horseracing. It maintained an active community presence in the 197
As the congregation approached its centennial year, it continued to grow, strengthening its music and youth programs and creating a college scholarship fund. First Baptist Church remains an important religious institution in the community of Kennard.