About 1875, a 32 - wagon train of settlers came here from Georgia. Jesse H. Ratcliff (1844 - 1920) built sawmill about 1885, drawing more people. Post office opened 1889, with Ratcliff as postmaster, and town soon had several stores. Professional men included Drs. H.L. McCall and Jake Jackson.
Sold 1901 to Louisiana & Texas Lumber Co., then to Central Coal & Coke Co., sawmill became a vast complex. Running until 1917, when it closed. Turning to logging or other enterprises, the community survived, although many residents moved away. The Ratcliff schools consolidated (1955) with Kennard.