In 1864, Mt. Zion Baptist Church stood on the site of the North Side Park Baptist Church.
July 20. The skirmish line of Walthall's div., Stewart's A.C., [CS] was astride Howell Mill Rd., just N. of the church. When Reynolds' & O'Neal's brigades [CS] moved up in columns from their intrenched line (.3 mi. S.), they deployed at the skirmish line — Reynolds W. of the rd.; O'Neal E. of it, & advanced on the Federal infantry posted on Collier Rd. & N. of the deep ravine.
In the church yard are monuments to H.H. Embry, (1805-1877), pioneer resident of this vicinity, & Serg't Wm. R. Moore, 1st Ga. Reg?t., Wheeler's Cav., killed N. of Peachtree Creek, July 17, 1864.