Named in Honor of
— General Francis Marion —At the time of the Revolution the town-gates stood near this spot across what is now King Street, originally the high way into Charles Town and formerly called the "Broad Path". In 1780 these gates were enclosed in the "Horn-Work", the post of honor in the city's land defenses extending from river to river and known as "The Lines". The "Tobacco Inspection" - warehouses established for the inspection and storage of tobacco before exportation - stood north of the square between Tobacco and Hutson Streets. The buildings now on that site include the arsenal, erected for the municipal guard after the attempted slave uprising of 1822, and subsequently named the "Citadel". In 1842 they were occupied by the South Carolina Military Academy. In 1937 these buildings were converted into county offices. Ceded in 1833 to the field officers of the Fourth Brigade, the square was and still is held as a public mall and parade ground. It has long been known as the "Citadel Green".
|Placed By||The City of Charleston|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, September 28th, 2014 at 6:32am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 599634 N 3628084|
|Decimal Degrees||32.78618333, -79.93601667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 32° 47.171', W 79° 56.161'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||32° 47' 10.26" N, 79° 56' 9.66" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 136-138 Calhoun St, Charleston SC 29401, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.