Walking Tour Stop 19The Hamilton Library Association was charterd in 1874, and this two-story brick building was erected in 1881 to house its collection. The library was made possible by a bequest of $2,000 from James Hamilton (1793-1873), a prominent Carlisle lawyer and scholar, who was active in local educational and religious matters. His home stood on the north side of West High Street near the entrance gate of the Society's parking lot. In Hamilton's will he left money and a 60' x 60' lot on the corner of Pitt Street and Dickinson Alley for the building of a library. After the Bosler Library opened in 1900 just a block away, the Hamilton Library modified its focus to materials related to local history and the development of a research library. In 1901 a permanent museum of historical artifacts was added, which has grown to become the Society's extensive museum. In 1926 the library was renamed the Cumberland County Historical Society and Hamilton Library Association.
|Placed By||Historic Carlisle, Inc|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 26th, 2014 at 11:34am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18T E 313492 N 4452456|
|Decimal Degrees||40.20178333, -77.19133333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 40° 12.107', W 77° 11.48'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||40° 12' 6.42" N, 77° 11' 28.80" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 53 W High St, Carlisle PA 17013, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.