— Nottoway County —The Blackstone Female Institute was conceived in 1891 by George Pierce Adams, a Blackstone merchant, and Joshua Soule Hunter, a Methodist minister. Originally designed as a school to prepare young female students to enter Randolph-Macon Women's College, it was founded more than a decade before the establishment of a public high school system in Virginia. James Cannon Jr., who became a nationally known bishop of the Methodist Church and influential prohibitionist, was the first principal and led the school until 1912. When a more advanced curriculum was added in 1915 and the school became the Blackstone College for Girls, Cannon was chosen as the first president. Enrollment peaked at nearly 500 students before fires in 1920 and 1922 destroyed the dormitory and academic buildings. A rebuilding campaign was slow to raise funds forcing the college by 1931 to curtail its program as a leading teacher-training institution and to operate, instead, as a college preparatory school and junior college.
|Placed By||Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail?|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Thursday, October 2nd, 2014 at 6:21pm PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 765758 N 4107361|
|Decimal Degrees||37.07488333, -78.01058333|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 4.493', W 78° 0.635'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 4' 29.58" N, 78° 0' 38.10" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||434, 804|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 8290 4th St, Blackstone VA 23824, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.