— Cumberland County —Parents in the Cartersville area of Cumberland County met in 1909 to discuss the need for a centralized high school to replace the one-room schools serving white children in the area at that time. The county Superintendent of Schools led the community in drives to raise funds for the new school, and S. W. Parker gave five acres of land on which to build it. By 1910 the new Hamilton High School opened, with 112 students enrolled. Seven instructors taught basic courses, with a teacher education program added in 1914. In 1920 the school gained an auditorium and two additional classrooms, and in 1930 a home economics building and an agricultural building were built. After the county's schools consolidated in 1944, Hamilton became an elementary school. In 1964, all of the county's white elementary schools were consolidated again at Cumberland High School. Today, what remains of Hamilton High School has been converted to homes and storage space.
|Placed By||Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail?|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Sunday, October 19th, 2014 at 11:46am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17S E 753509 N 4171754|
|Decimal Degrees||37.65798333, -78.12616667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 37° 39.479', W 78° 7.57'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||37° 39' 28.74" N, 78° 7' 34.20" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 1862 Cartersville Rd, Cartersville VA 23027, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.