This stone arch stood from 1878-1924 as the entry to Central School, 600 Leavenworth. At the suggestion of Judge Sam Kimble, Contractor Mont J. Green, Sr. contributed the arch as a memorial to Amanda Arnold, an early teacher who came on the steamboat Hartford, and all the pioneer Manhattan school teachers.
It was moved to Evergreen and Poyntz where it was cared for by the Kimble, Moore, and Richards families until 1985, when through the kindness of J.D. Richards it was relocated to its present site.