Benjamin Mosby operated a tavern on this site as early as 1741 in what was then Goochland County. In 1749 at the formation of Cumberland County, this tavern served as its Courthouse. The sessions were held here until Powhatan County was formed out of Cumberland in 1777; for a time court was held here for both counties.
Benjamin Mosby's son, General Littlebury Mosby Sr., 1729-1809, the most notable figure in early Powhatan politics was instrumental in having the courthouses located here.
The site, a Virginia Historic Landmark, is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Cumberland Old Courthouse
George Washington referred to this site as "Cumberland Old Courthouse" when this was a major staging area for troops of the Continental Army. On February 18, 1775 the Cumberland County Committee of Safety met here and composed The Cumberland Resolutions, one of the earliest calls for independence issued in the colonies.
After Yorktown, troops of the Virginia Continental Line, ill-equipped, ill-fed, unpaid and nearly mutinous, marched from here to the Southern Campaign of 1782.
While there they participated with valor and success in the final engagements of our war for independence.