C. 1848This home is architecturally important as it is one of two mid 19th century dwellings with Greek Revival overtones. These buildings being two rooms deep were pace setters for other buildings in town. Captain Abraham Colmary built this house in 1848 prior to the Civil war while being a steamboat captain on the canal. It was considered appropriate for a steamboat captain's family. They operated the small steamboats that carried passengers and freight on a regular schedule. One route was Port Deposit and back to Chesapeake City. In 1882 the house was conveyed to Frank Conrey, brother of Dr. Conrey, and operator of the local coal yard for a sum of $2,250.00.
|Series||This marker is part of the Maryland: Chesapeake City Historic District series|
|Placed By||Martin and Denise Salmon|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, October 4th, 2014 at 11:40am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||18S E 430155 N 4375535|
|Decimal Degrees||39.52663333, -75.81265000|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 39° 31.598', W 75° 48.759'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||39° 31' 35.88" N, 75° 48' 45.54" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||410, 443|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 206 Bohemia Ave, Chesapeake City MD 21915, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.