A Look at the Military Aircraft of MacDillSince the first wave of B-18 Super Heavy Bombers arrived at MacDill in 1940, the base has seen a remarkable variety of America's finest military aircraft. MacDill's first mission included transitional training on the B-17 Flying Fortress. After World War II started, the base became a major Army Air Forces staging platform. LB-30s and B-17s would take off from MacDill and head for combat via the Atlantic Ocean. As the war progressed, the base's mission changed from pilot and crew training on the B-17, to training on the new Martin B-26. The first B-26 to arrive at MacDill was piloted by the celebrated combat pilot, Major General Jimmy Doolittle. In 1945, MacDill became the primary training facility for the B-29. Later, during the 1950's, MacDill added the P-51, B-50, B-47, and KC-97 to its training missions. The 1960's and the Vietnam conflict brought F-84 training and F-4 combat-ready wings to MacDill. By 1970, replacement crews were being trained here for B-57 bomber missions.
|Series||This marker is part of the More Than Words series|
|Marker Condition||No reports yet|
|Date Added||Saturday, September 6th, 2014 at 1:11am PDT -07:00|
|UTM (WGS84 Datum)||17R E 356494 N 3092012|
|Decimal Degrees||27.94541667, -82.45871667|
|Degrees and Decimal Minutes||N 27° 56.725', W 82° 27.523'|
|Degrees, Minutes and Seconds||27° 56' 43.50" N, 82° 27' 31.38" W|
|Driving Directions||Google Maps|
|Area Code(s)||813, 727, 305, 863|
|Closest Postal Address||At or near 122-156 N Ashley Dr, Tampa FL 33602, US|
|Alternative Maps||Google Maps, MapQuest, Bing Maps, Yahoo Maps, MSR Maps, OpenCycleMap, MyTopo Maps, OpenStreetMap|
Have you seen this marker? If so, check in and tell us about it.