During the Second Seminole War (1835-42) the U.S. Army established a cemetery at this site for soldiers, civilian employees, and Indians. In 1883, about 20 soldiers were removed to Barrancas National Cemetery, Pensacola. In time the grave sites became obliterated, and passed out of all remembrance.
In 1980, the burial site was discovered accidentally during the construction of the city parking complex. One hundred and two soldiers and civilians were reburied at Oaklawn Cemetery, March 24, 1981, while the spirit of 42 Seminoles were put to rest with the essence of burning herbs at the Seminole Shrine at Orient Road, August 5, 1981.