The 18th Ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, one of the original nineteen ecclesiastical wards of Salt Lake Valley, was organized Feb. 14, 1849. Early congregations consisted of families of Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball, and Newell K. Whitney. Meetings were held in boweries, then Brigham Young's schoolhouse on East South Temple Street. In 1880 Don Carlos Young deeded a lot on A Street and 2nd Avenue where the original chapel, of Gothic Revival style, was built (Obed Taylor, architect). It was dedicated Jan. 14 1883 and demolished in 1973. This 18th Ward replica, dedicated June 27, 1980, remains a permanent example of early Utah Gothic architecture (Steven T. Baird, architect). The present site was acquired through an act of the Utah State legislature in 1975. Original parts salvaged and used in this replica include: steeple, cornerstone, window frames, doors, benches, pulpit, and the stained glass window.