Designed by Philip Meyer, a native of Germany and a nephew of local retail magnate Frederick Auerbach, the B'nai Israel Temple was constructed in 1890-91. Henry Monheim, a local architect, supervised the construction. It is one of the few remaining structures built by Utah's early pioneer Jews and reflects their importance in the development of the economy, government, and educational institutions of the state. The design of this Romanesque Revival style building was reportedly based on the Fasanenstrasse Synagogue, a famous Jewish temple in Berlin. While the main elevation is rusticated Kyune sandstone, the side walls and the drum beneath the dome are brick.
The Congregation B'nai Israel was organized in 1881 and built a small synagogue in 1883 at First West and Third South. Following a division in the synagogue, the orthodox Congregation Montefiore built a new synagogue at 355 South Third East, and the reform B'nai Israel congregation built this temple. It was sold in the early 1970's when a new temple was built for combined local Jewish congregations. It has since housed several commercial enterprises including a restaurant and offices.