Constructed 1909-1910, the Morrison-Merrill Lumber Company Office and Warehouse is historically significant as the headquarters of one of Utah's largest and most important lumber companies. The construction of this facility marked the beginning of both the physical and economic expansion of Morrison-Merrill and its transformation into a major regional supplier of wood products. Under the direction of George Merrill, who served as the company's president from 1911 to 1947, Morrison-Merrill grew from a moderately sized operation in northern Utah to a three-state network of more than 100 subsidiary firms.
Designed by the architect William H. Leper, the building was one of the major facilities constructed in Salt Lake City's transportation and industrial district, the center for railroad-dependent industries and warehouses. Architecturally, it is an excellent example of "mill construction," which was developed to provide the volume of space, structural strength, and fire resistance desired for warehouses of the period.